Thursday Bible Study...
Today's Bible study (Genesis 6-9) took us through the flood account. I was a bit excited for this study because there are few things that can be lost in the text if you do not read it carefully. In fact I think I may have blown the wife's mind on one observation.
While giving an overview of the story, I pointed out the overwhelming parallel to another story. I point to three groups of people who we see in the flood account. We have Enoch, who is taken from earth by the Lord. We have Noah and his family, who are kept safe in the ark. And finally we everyone else who is killed in the flood. Pretty straight forward. Then I pointed out that the only way for Noah and his family to enter the ark, was a single door, that the Lord sealed behind them. It was awesome to see the wheels turning when they put it all together. How there is a direct hint to the end times, the church being raptured, the end time saints carried through the tribulation, and the loss of life from those not choosing the correct path, or entering the single door of Jesus Christ, sealing their salvation!
So cool...
We also talked about Noah being righteous before God in his generation how he was chosen, and why. I also pointed to the statement of clean and unclean animals in verse 2 of chapter 7. And explained that those definitions where given from God to Adam way back in Chapter 3 verse 21, that when God made tunics of skin, that more than likely He also gave instructions on the need of innocent blood to cover sin. I think it is important to show that the idea of sacrifices to cover and deal with sin, is an idea rooted in the very beginning chapters of the book of Genesis. It is also important to point out that God made the institution, not man trying to appease a God that has not made his demands known.
My daughter has a great heart for animals, she has found a mentor in our neighbor who also has a great heart for animals, problem is though our neighbor has given animals a higher importance than people. I couldn't help but point out, that in the story of the flood, in verse 13 it shows that Noah and family entered first, with the animals entering secondly. I asked why she thought that was, and she correctly answered that the family has a higher importance. I wanted though to make a greater point. That as we read through the Bible, that I want her to not only listen to what it says, but also listen to how it says it. A lot of church traditions are rooted in not paying attention to the details. Not sure why, but I have a big problem with church traditions when they are blindly regurgitated, especially to small children.
So that is a small part of what we discussed in our family Bible study this week. We are quickly going through the first part of Genesis, and will be slowing down, as we get farther into it. I will take more time as we discuss some more of these great stories found in the book of beginnings.
And as always, comments are welcomed, and don't forget to visit our ranch blog, link found below! Have a great week.
------------------------------------------------
My insanity on display www.pioneeringaz.blogspot.com
1 comment:
Thank you, I enjoyed the Bible lesson. I've tried and tried to read the Bible from front to back. I'll begin in January, and by March I'm way behind...oh well, I'll try again.
Post a Comment