Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Back to our previously scheduled program...

We had to take a couple weeks off from our family Bible study because of work and a family vacation for the wife and daughter. So today was like starting over.

We did a quick recap of the first 10 chapters of Genesis. I brought out my graphic map of world history, to show the time period from creation to chapter 11, and explained about the significance of the Tower of Babel. Then off to the heart of the study. The call of Abram, through the rescue of Lot.

This is starting for me anyway, my favorite part of Genesis. The nitty-gritty historical story of the Patriarchs. I love how the Bible records Gods commands of what we call the greatest of characters, and also records their screw ups and audacity to do what they want instead. Take the call of Abram. "get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will show thee." followed by, "So Abram took his wife, and his nephew" and moved up river! I'm sure God went palm to face, that's not what I said! Reminds me of what the late Sam Kinison said about a TV evangelist who was raising money to build a theme park... "I can see Jesus saying while flipping through the Bible 'were does it say to build a damn water park'"
So this story reminds me of that. I also love when later on, while talking about his movement around the area, it ends with "and Lot" never letting you forget that there is this tag along.
I also pointed out to little one the deceitfulness that Abram tries to use in Egypt, and how if he had just listened to God, he knew there was nothing to fear.
But what really made an impression on her, was the bit when Abram starts complaining to God that he doesn't have any children, and how if he just listened to God and followed what he said that it was all planned out. Just wait till she sees the mess that he makes of it when tries to do it his way! But that is next weeks lesson.

Later today, the wife and I are going to continue on our reading through Chuck Misslers "Learn the Bible in twenty four hours" which is a cool synopsis of the entire book. I've had the pleasure of reading it a few times, and even watched the DVDs that are also available through his website, khouse.org

So there is my day off... Now no more bloging, time to get to work, and as always don't forget to check out my other blog on the ranch. Till next week, stay strong.
--------------------------------------------------
My insanity on display www.pioneeringaz.blogspot.com

No comments: