"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."
This summer I am taking the family through the book of Genesis. One of my personal favorite books. There is so much to talk about, and so many places it leads us, I'm just overwhelmed. Another problem I'm having is, that so much of what I've been taught and have learned about this book is what my daughter has called college level. So I am having to deviate to a simpler, just read the book, and give very little commentary, plan of attack. I always ask for questions and let little one drive the conversation from there.
I remember when I started attending a Christian school when I was twelve. Before that time I had never really been led through a Bible book. I had read the Bible, but was never led through. Well that first year, the pastor of the school had started going through the book of Genesis, and at that time I hated it! Now I understand, that since it is more a historical book, it reads more like a novel than some of the others. Later on my fascination grew in this book and I never forgot those early lessons. Even today when I read through this book, I still hear that first pastors voice in my head.
So this summer, I would like to give those memories to my daughter. I know that now it is dry and boring, but I hope that later on, she develops the same love affair with this the greatest book (in my opinion!).
I hope to get though the book of Genesis before December rolls around. I would like to take the family through the 'real timeline' of the birth of Christ. We've talked about the difference of tradition vs. Biblical fact many times, but I think an illustration of one of the biggest discrepancies would be timely.
So there is what I am up to, and what I would like to accomplish this year with the family. If time permits I will post some of our high points.
-------------------------------------------------My insanity on display www.pioneeringaz.blogspot.com
No comments:
Post a Comment