Monday, June 30, 2008

Statement of Faith


Just about every church in America has a Statement of Faith posted somewhere. It's a statement of what the Church believes, and often why the church believes it. The problem is many church goers read and forget these core values. They really don't mean that much, just a cleaver list of ideas, that people recite sometimes to distinguish themselves from others.

Well personally, I think every person should have a statement of faith, so I decided to write my own several years ago. I still believe it 100% today!


* I believe that the Bible is the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. That the volume of the book is about Christ; it is one book in 66 parts penned by 40 authors over thousands of years, yet it is one message. I believe that the "New Testament" is in the old concealed, and that the "Old Testament" is in the new revealed.

* I believe everyone will be held accountable for their views on the creation story, the fall, and the plan for redemption.

* I believe in six literal days.

* I believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

* I believe in the deity of Jesus Christ; in His virgin birth; in His sinless life; in His miracles; in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood; in His bodily resurrection; in His ascension to the right hand of the Father (were He now sits) and in His personal return in power and glory. (To rule over the whole world in Jerusalem, as king, on the physical throne of David, for a literal one thousand years.)

* I believe that regeneration by the Holy Spirit is essential for salvation; that this regeneration, happens when one believes in Christ, and commits their life to Him.

* I believe in the gifts of the Spirit.

* I believe baptism is nothing more than an outward expression of an inward change.

* I believe once saved, always saved. Salvation is not based on what we do; it is based solely on His Grace.

* I believe that in eternity everyone will be raised, those who are saved to live with God - those who are lost, to eternal separation from God and damnation.

* I believe the ministry of the Holy Spirit is available to believers as the source of power to live a Godly life.

* I believe in the spiritual unity of believers in Jesus Christ

* I believe that through faith, we are saved.

4 comments:

Adam Pastor said...

Greetings KingAzJay

On the truth of the fact of whether the ONE GOD is indeed eternally existent in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit;
I recommend this video:
The Human Jesus

Take a couple of hours to watch it; and prayerfully it will aid you in your quest for truth.

Yours In Messiah
Adam Pastor

Beardedoverland said...

Truthfully I have not have the time to watch the film, but I really don't think it will change my decision on this fact. I've studied this point several times, and really the argument from the other side just isn't that strong.

Jesus was 100% God, 100% man. How that is possible is not for me to question. The answer I doubt would not make any sense. The scripture truly portrays the trinity, starting in Genesis, and going throughout Revelation. No matter what kind of spin people try and put on it, it just doesn't change.

That's my two cents.

Beardedoverland said...

I was going to leave this one alone, but I read another comment about this subject on another persons blog and had to post a reply over there. So I am going to post that reply here also.

"I'm sorry but the very first verse of the Bible describes God as triune. I'm not going to go into a huge lecture here, the research has already been done, the original language has been gone over several times. I encourage anyone who would like to know more about this, to take the time and look some of the great information about this subject. I would personally start with Dr. Chuck Missler's work in "Learn the Bible in Twenty-four hours" it is in book form, audio form, and also a DVD. I would also strongly suggest to obtain a copy of his commentary on the book of Genesis. Those two resources alone would give anyone a huge jump start on this subject."

But let me go into it a bit here. What I am alluding to in Genesis 1:1 is the statement "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." The language used here is just not visible in the English form. The word for God is "Elohim" which is a plural form of the word. This word does not mean there were several Gods, no it means God is in several parts. Later we start to learn more about these parts, not directly, but through the use of models, or examples. I think my next post will be about that.

Adam Pastor said...

Greetings KingAzJay

Seeing that you are not going to leave this one alone;
then please, I implore you,
take the time to watch the video!

Concerning elohim:
Elohim and Echad

Yours In Messiah
Adam Pastor
The Human Jesus